Marsai Martin ‘Grateful’ for Journey as Diane Johnson

06.07.21
Marsai Martin ‘Grateful’ for Journey as Diane Johnson (Photo: Rachel Murray Framingheddu/Getty Images for California Milk Processor Board (got milk?))

DeKalb, ILMarsai Martin is opening up about her time as Diane Johnson on “black-ish” and said that her love for the character has grown over time as the show plans its eighth and final season. 

“I feel like in every episode you see her become her own woman, which I love,” Martin told Buzzfeed. “I've been on the show since I was 9. I'm turning 17 this year. It's pretty insane to see how far we've come with her. I'm very grateful.”

“black-ish” on ABC premiered in 2014 and had its season-seven finale on May 18. Martin said the end of the series is a bittersweet feeling. 

“Honestly, there are so many emotions when I think about it, really,” Martin told Buzzfeed. “Again, I've been playing Diane for so long. I'm looking forward to seeing how the writers close the show because black-ish is such an amazing show.”

Martin said there’s never a dull moment when working with Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross, who she considers to be her second mom and dad. 

“The [lessons] that I would take from them would definitely be how much they put into their work. Just seeing them every day, working hard,” Martin told Buzzfeed

Outside of “black-ish,” Martin herself has broken records. She’s the youngest person to ever produce a movie, the youngest Black producer, the youngest person to get a first-look deal at Universal, and the youngest person to get a deal at any studio. 

“I'm a teenager at the end of the day, just doing what I love,” Martin told Buzzfeed. “So having such a big title like that is a blessing. I'm so grateful for all of the support and all the love that I get every day. Nothing is better than doing a job that you love, getting paid for it, and having fun while doing it.”