5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

10.28.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

TNGHT Drops First Project In 7 Years

TNGHT, a producer duo made up of Hudson Mohawke and Lunice, haven’t put out music in seven years, until now! They’re known for their production on songs like “Mercy” by Kanye West, “Connect” by Drake and “Everyday” by A$AP Rocky. They recently dropped a single called “Serpent.”

Frank Ocean Returns With New Track “DHL” and More

Frank Ocean is back! He just announced a new radio show — "BlondeRadio," on Beats1. He also recently dropped a long-anticipated single called “DHL” and has started a new party called PrEP+ located in NYC. We've missed you, Frank!

Musicians Boycott Amazon Due To ICE Contracts

Musicians are starting to boycott Amazon music festivals until “they stop supporting human rights violations." Amazon has contracts with ICE, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency that has been deporting mass amount of immigrants lately. Madonna has been successful in ending her contract to perform at Amazon’s Intersect music festival, we’ll see who else decides to pull out!

Issa Rae Launches New Label Under Atlantic Records

Issa Rae just announced a partnership with Atlantic Records to launch her record label, Raedio. Issa used the occasion to announce her first signing, artist TeaMarr, who just released “Kinda Love.”

Yellowcard Sues Juice WRLD for Copyright Infringement

Yellowcard recently sued Juice WRLD for copyright infringement stating Juice WRLD’s song “Lucid Dreams” has the same beat as their song “Holly Wood Died”. They claim that there are important portions of “Holly Wood Died” that are recognizable in "Lucid Dreams."