This Month’s Rotation: 5 Albums You Should Listen To

08.22.19

When it comes to music, 2019 keeps proving to be the year that keeps on giving. We’re constantly getting new music from exceptional artists, sometimes on a monthly or weekly basis. This August began with a bang, several exciting debuts were released and industry veterans have continued to build their portfolios. The week of August 2nd was filled with emotionally charged R&B, pop, and indie music, and we are here for it. If you’ve been on the lookout for exciting projects from promising artists, then look no further. Here’s our pick of 5 new albums to check out.

Clairo - Immunity

Clairo’s first taste of success was when her D.I.Y. music video for her song “Pretty Girl” began to go viral in late 2017. Since then, the 20-year-old singer-songwriter has proven that she’s not just a one-hit-wonder. Her debut album “Immunity” serves as a proper introduction to the young star, and embodies the voice of Generation Z. Clairo’s music sits in between synth-pop and alternative, while occasionally borrowing R&B characteristics. Clairo impressively sets herself apart from her pop counterparts, her music is solely and authentically her, only sharing songwriting credits with ex-Vampire Weekend member Rostam Batmanglij on four songs off of the album. “Immunity” is as original and interesting an album as the star who sings it, defining Clairo as an individual artist with a passion for music. 

Songs to Check Out: Closer To You, Softly, I Wouldn’t Ask You

Isabella - 12 Angels

Isabella, more commonly known as Isabella Peschardt, is a model who’s probably appeared on everyone’s social media timeline at least once. She initially made headway in her career after going viral on Vine in 2015. Since then, she has been featured in campaigns for Bebe and Juicy Couture and graced the pages of the prestigious Vogue Italia. Now, the 21-year-old seeks to be known for her musical ability as well. Her debut album “12 Angels” marks the long journey of her venture into music, a passion she’s been pursuing since she was 16. Isabella’s light, soothing voice makes for the perfect canvas. Her voice carries an enchanting feel throughout “12 Angels." The album's lyrical content touches upon experiencing love, heartbreak, finding one’s voice, and discovering self-empowerment. 

Songs to Check Out: Nobody, Tag, November

Mabel - High Expectations

“High Expectations” is the highly-anticipated debut from UK singer Mabel. Although the 23-year-old Londoner comes from a musical family (her father is record producer Cameron McVey and her mom is singer Neneh Cherry, who is most known for her 80s hit “Buffalo Stance”) she makes it clear that she can shine on her own. The album is pop personified, filled with infectious instrumentals and catchy hooks that’ll be stuck in your head all day. Mabel showcases her versatility on “High Expectations” remaining sassy and confident for most of the album, but occasionally utilizes her soulful voice for vulnerable and honest moments that everyone can relate too. 

Songs to Check Out: Don’t Call Me Up, Selfish Love, I Belong to Me

Slum Sociable - L.I.F.

The second project by Australian duo Slum Sociable has arrived. The two initially met in college, and they began to make music together for a school project. Slum Sociable’s music is filled with Jazz and R&B influences with a blues-like guitar and piano fuse to create a gorgeous and moody ambiance. With thoughtfully crafted lyrics, Slum Sociable display vast thematic variety throughout this EP, switching effortlessly from the confident “Afterthought,” the political commentary of “Life Is Free,” to the vulnerable “If I Were Called Back.”

Songs to Check Out: Life Is Free, Déjà Vu, Afterthought

So Sensitive - Bedroom Drama

Synth-pop duo So Sensitive explores the feminine experience in their debut album “Bedroom Drama.” After pursuing heavier rock music for a time under the moniker “Muscle Marrow," vocalist/songwriter Kira Clark and drummer Keith McGraw wanted to escape their hypermasculine reality, so they created So Sensitive. Drawing inspiration from the likes of Madonna and Kate Bush, Clark's airy vocals are draped in rich glittery synths and keyboards. The album's vulnerability lies in its lyrical content, discussing sex, self-esteem, grief, and love without holding anything back. “Bedroom Drama” is a smart record about what it is like to live, love, and feel like a femme person in a patriarchal, heteronormative, world.

Songs to Check Out: What’s a Girl to Do?, Devotion, I Love You

Honorable Mention:
Carrie. - Pharmakon 

Bay Area native Carrie shines with her debut EP “Pharmakon.” Written and recorded in her bedroom, “Pharmakon” explores the undesirable side effects of love, such as heartbreak and dependency. The project perfectly blends R&B with lo-fi instrumentals, creating a sonically relaxing atmosphere while the lyrics tug at our heartstrings. Give the project a listen, we’re sure you won’t regret it. 

Songs to Check Out: Kill Me, Hi + Dry