Babyface Ray Reveals His ‘FACE’

02.15.22
Babyface Ray Reveals His ‘FACE’ (Courtesy of Nobody's Home)

Babyface Ray, a mainstay in his hometown of Detroit, recently released his full-length studio album “FACE” and is hungry for more.

He took to Instagram to hint at his project on New Year’s Eve with a billboard in Times Square exclaiming, “FACE ON THE WAY 🌊.” Weeks later, Babyface Ray revealed the album cover, a black and white photo of himself surrounded by small doodles and phrases relating to himself and his lyrics, and a caption stating?🌊.” 

Contrary to previous releases, Babyface Ray’s extensive 20-track album has all-star features stretching from rap veterans like Pusha-T to newcomers 42 Dugg and Icewear Vezzo. “FACE” serves as the intersection between the old and new, across almost an hour of music and contains production from OG Parker, DJ Esco, the legendary Atlanta group 808 Mafia and more. 

The lead single, “Dancing With The Devil,” features Pusha T and Landstrip Chip. Chip’s melodic chorus and Pusha T’s unmistakable energy combined with Babyface Ray’s cadence make for a standout song.

Babyface Ray mumbles in a soft tone about past struggles on “Sincerely Face,” the project’s second single. Producer Flea creates a darker atmosphere with menacing piano chords. 

He started his career as part of the group Team Eastside with fellow Detroit rapper Peezy in high school. Now at 30, Babyface Ray is one of Motown’s brightest homegrown stars. 

“FACE” is out now via Wavy Gang and Empire records.