Beyoncé Returns With ‘Act i: Renaissance’

All Hail Queen Beyoncé. The singer reminds everyone why there’s no one better. 

07.29.22
Beyoncé Returns With ‘Act i: Renaissance’ (Robyn Beck/AFP via Getty Images)

The Queen is back. Beyoncé released her seventh studio album, “Renaissance,” Friday. 

When the 40-year-old singer scrubbed her Instagram profile, fans went into a frenzy, excited that new music was on its way.

Although the last time Beyoncé released a solo album – Barack Obama was President – the Queen Bee kept us afloat with several albums since her 2016 visual album “Lemonade" — a political and feminist album that fused rock, pop and R&B. She released an album with her husband Jay-Z in 2018, as well as several albums in 2019, with "HOMECOMING: THE LIVE ALBUM" after her Coachella performance, Beyoncé also released an album inspired by the 2019 remake of "The Lion King," which she also starred in.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjki-9Pthh0

Beyoncé released her first single from the new album, "Break My Soul," in late June. The single, produced by The-Dream and Tricky Stewart, quickly debuted at No. 15 just three days after tracking. 

“Renaissance” may suggest a time of resurrection. 

In an Instagram post revealing the album artwork, Beyoncé stated, "It allowed me to feel free and adventurous in a time when little else was moving. My intention was to create a safe place, a place without judgment. A place to be free of perfectionism and overthinking. A place to scream, release, feel freedom. It was a beautiful journey of exploration. I hope you find joy in this music. I hope it inspires you to release the wiggle. Ha! And to feel as unique, strong, and sexy as you are."

Before the album's release she landed the cover of British Vogue. Editor-in-chief Edward Enninful was one of the first people to hear the new album, praising "soaring vocals and powerful beats" that took him "back to the clubs of his youth" in the late 80s and 90s. He described it as her "most ambitious musical undertaking to date" after receiving a sneak preview. "Music that will connect so many on the dance floor, music that affects your soul," he added. "[It's] music that makes you rise, that directs your thoughts to cultures and subcultures, to our people past and present.

In a statement on her website, she confirmed that this is only the first act, acknowledging fan theories and that more music is on its way. 

"Renaissance" is out now via Parkwood Entertainment under exclusive license to Columbia Records.