Black Students in Florida Create Newspaper for Underrepresented Peers

01.06.21

DeKalb, ILStudents at Florida Atlantic University created a platform for underrepresented students at the school with the first Black-led newspaper, The Paradigm Press. 

The online publication covers student life in the city of Boca Raton, along with trending topics within FAU’s Black community. It also offers opinion pieces, podcasts and advice columns. 

Kennedy McKinney, founder and editor-in-chief, said the exclusive newspaper launched due to inadequate coverage of the school’s Black community from FAU’s official student newspaper. 

"The reason we wanted to do that [launching the paper] was because when I came to FAU as a freshman, there were so many things that the Black community was doing within the school," McKinney said, according to WLRN. "We had Greek life and we had students who were coming up with fundraiser ideas for the community."

The Paradigm Press staff includes nine writers, one photographer, three editors and a marketing team. To get the word out about the newspaper, the team has been posting fliers and are hoping to build their social media presence. 

McKinney said the newspaper has gained support from the FAU and journalism communities. 

"Well, when I did it, I didn't know that it was the first Black-led newspaper," she said. "So when I found out that it was the first one it was very exciting. And I'm happy that I have the chance to do it."