Charged Up: Artists Put Money Where Their Mouth Is

06.03.20

Almost two weeks after George Floyd was killed by a police officer in Minneapolis, many fans are calling upon celebrities and artists to use their influence and affluence to help bring to justice the police officers responsible for the killing of George Floyd as well as shedding light upon organizations and funds raising money for those protesting on the front lines all across the United States. 

In addition to spreading awareness, musicians have been holding each other accountable and encouraging the message of both unity and the need for conversations about systemic racism. Last week Noname added to the viral "match me" trend, calling upon her peers to donate money to those on the front lines in Minneapolis.

Recently, Mustafa The Poet, a Canadian singer-songwriter, called upon Drake and The Weeknd to donate to the National Bail Out Fund. Mustafa called out the two in an Instagram Story to match his donation while adding "3 zeros." 

Read: An open letter to the music industry

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA60WgJBgRD/

The Weekend donated $500,000 to various organizations and criticized the music industry’s participation in social media movements like #blackouttuesday, while Drake donated $100,000 to the National Bail Out Fund. Not everyone has $100,000 to toss around, but check out our list on how to help people on the front lines protesting and beyond.