‘Angel’ Scholarship Announced by Halle Bailey

$40K will be awarded to young Black women pursuing education in the performing arts.

10.06.23
‘Angel’ Scholarship Announced by Halle Bailey (Mike Coppola via Getty Images for Pandora)

Halle Bailey, the multi-talented actor and singer, recently unveiled the “Angel Scholarship,” a generous initiative designed to provide support and opportunities to young Black women pursuing education in the performing arts. 

In a story from Yahoo News, four recipients will be awarded $10,000 each. 

Bailey shared her excitement about the initiative in a video posted on her social media platforms, expressing her dedication to empowering young Black women.

The scholarship was inspired by Bailey’s solo debut single, “Angel”. The song itself carries a powerful message of empowerment and self-acceptance, particularly for Black women. Bailey said, “I wanted to launch this scholarship as a part of my latest song, ‘Angel,’ which I wrote to empower Black women. It’s a reminder to all of us women that we are beautiful; we can do anything we set our minds to and our hearts to.”

“Angel” is a poignant piano-led ballad that celebrates the essence of Black girlhood. It encourages Black girls to embrace their individuality and serves as a message of support for anyone who may be feeling overwhelmed. The song was deeply influenced by Bailey’s personal experiences, particularly her journey in the public eye over the past few years.

Bailey opened up about the inspiration behind the song.

“I wrote this song because the past three years of my life have been a really beautiful journey of self-discovery for me. It has opened so many doors for me; it has been an eye-opening experience,” she said. She further described how “Angel” is a reflection of her emotions, ranging from gratitude to being overwhelmed, especially in light of her prominent role in Disney’s live-action adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.”

The impact of “Angel” was far-reaching, as it earned a place on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and garnered over 12 million views on YouTube for its music video. 

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.