Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers’

The Pulitzer-winning rapper continues to deliver thought provoking music.

05.13.22
Kendrick Lamar’s ‘Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers’ (Rick Kern via Getty Images for Samsung)

Kendrick Lamar’s newest album, “Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers,” is out, five years after his critically acclaimed album, "DAMN."

K-Dot used oklama.com as his main form of communication with fans, starting last August. He has since revealed two CDs on his website, album artwork and the name of his then soon-to-be album. Lamar also shared a picture of master copies of his new album, sending fans into a frenzy, speculating "Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers" to be a double album release — they were correct. 

The double album comes in two nine-track discs. The first disc features Kodak Black narration throughout the project with features from LA newcomer Blxst, Summer Walker, Sampha and more. The second album features Baby Keem, Kodak Black and Beth Gibbons of Portishead. 

Lamar opts for familiar and new producers for his final TDE album, from long time collaborators Sounwav and Dahi to legends like The Alchemist and Pharrell. While the album's sonic landscape is magnificent as it is vast, he makes sure to hone in the lyrical content. 

The Compton native revealed the artwork just days before the release of his fifth studio album. The Renell Medrano photo displays Lamar wearing a crown of thorns and a gun behind his waist while he holds his firstborn child while his fiance carries their second child.

https://youtu.be/uAPUkgeiFVY

Recently, Lamar released the Beach Noise-produced single, "The Heart Part 5,” coupled with a video where he uses deep fake technology to borrow likeness from Will Smith, Kanye West and more. The single marks his first single in almost four years. 

He appeared twice on Baby Keem's album, "The Melodic Blue," and performed at the 2022 Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show in February, alongside heavyweights Snoop Dogg, Mary J. Blige, Dr. Dre, Eminem and 50 Cent. 

"Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers" marks the last album on Top Dawg Entertainment, home of Kendrick Lamar, SZA, ScHoolboy Q and more. 

Stream the Pluitzer-winning rapper's fifth studio album, "Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers," below.