Kehlani Returns to Music With a ‘CRASH’

The emotional R&B singer returns with a new sound that will be sure to leave you grooving.

07.04.24
Kehlani Returns to Music With a ‘CRASH’ (Getty Images)

Catching the San Diego waves on her surfboard gave Kehlani the inspiration she needed to come out with this new album. 

“CRASH” comes after a 2-year transformative break that Kehlani says put her in a grounded and fueled place to deliver amazing music. During their time away, Kehlani has been immersing themselves in a myriad of different “side quests.” Among them, pole dancing, hitting the gym, and overall living her best life. 

Speaking on her acquired hobbies, she shared some inspiring words on her Instagram story: “‘Limitless’ is a state of being. You are not defined by one singular thing you do. May you never be confined … May you always alchemize that tug of a heartstring. Do ANYTHING. Not to be great at it, but to truly live.”

Taking a turn from her last album, the sentimental “blue water road,” Kehlani delivered a 13-track project filled with eclectic 80s-style synths and bass you can feel in your chest. In an interview with Apple Music, the artist shared that amidst global tragedy after global tragedy, they wanted to focus on art that would make people feel good. Of course, any Kehlani album isn’t complete without her light, sweet honey vocals, making this project a true experiment in R&B music.

“After Hours,” the album’s lead single, has been making waves online long before the release of “CRASH.” This was their biggest single release yet, achieving four million streams in her first week. Sampling the club anthem, “Move Ya Body” by Nina Sky, “After Hours” has been a favorite among TikTok dancers.

@_itsjordie Someone requested this last week and I am feeling it so damn hard😍 @Kehlani DC: @DariusHickman #kehlani #afterhours #danceinpublic #dance ♬ After Hours – Kehlani

“CRASH” is available now via Atlantic.

Knives Nguyen (they/he/she), is a journalist from the Bay Area who covers entertainment, culture and student life. You can connect with them on LinkedIn: @knivesnguyen.