Charli XCX Used Zoom to Create 'how i’m feeling now'

05.15.20
Charli XCX Used Zoom to Create 'how i’m feeling now' (Photo courtesy of Atlantic Records )
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAN6BtinTAV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Singer-songwriter Charli XCX dropped her highly-anticipated fourth album ‘how i’m feeling now’ on May 15. The project serves as the culmination of the singer’s time in self-isolation, a DIY album completed with input from her fans.

On a Zoom call with fans on April 6, Charli XCX announced her plans to release an album while in quarantine. The project, aptly titled “how i’m feeling now,” chronicles the feelings of self-isolation with her boyfriend Huck Kwong and was done entirely from home with the tools at hand, according to the singer. The album process was a collaborative effort with fans, connecting via IG Live and Zoom conference calls, and taking their suggestions on everything from lyrics to artwork.

The album rollout has been handled entirely by Charli via daily updates to social media, posting lyric ideas and clips of demos. The process has been totally transparent, with Charli sharing all aspects of the creative process — even texts with BJ Burton and AG Cook — Executive Producers of "how i’m feeling now" and frequent Charli collaborators. She included fans’ footage in the music video for "Forever" and supplied them with green-screen stems of the "Claws" video for fan edits. 

In the month since the project started, Charli has released three singles, "Forever," "Claws" and "Finally I Understand." In a note posted to Twitter, Charli announced she’d also be putting together a book of the artwork she’s collected from fans during the experience. Charli XCX will premiere the album in full at a Zoom party scheduled for May 15. 

Listen to "how i’m feeling now"