End of SAG-AFTRA’s Strike Brings Hollywood Back in Action

Details of the tentative agreement will be disclosed on Friday.

11.09.23
End of SAG-AFTRA’s Strike Brings Hollywood Back in Action (Getty Images)

California; HaywardAfter nearly four months of active striking against studios, the SAG-AFTRA union has tentatively reached a new deal with film studios and streaming services. The union's TV/Theatrical Committee voted unanimously to approve the deal, putting an end to the 118-day strike according to ABC News.

Specific details of the agreement will be disclosed on Friday, once it undergoes review and consideration by the SAG-AFTRA National Board.

SAG-AFTRA announced on social media that the strike would be "suspended as of 12:01 a.m." on Thursday.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) also expressed satisfaction with the tentative agreement, noting that it represents a groundbreaking deal. The agreement includes significant wage increases, new streaming residuals, protections regarding the use of artificial intelligence, and substantial contract improvements across the board.

According to SAG-AFTRA, the contract is valued at over one billion dollars and introduces "above-pattern" minimum wage increases, AI-related consent and compensation safeguards, and a streaming participation bonus.

This agreement comes a month after Hollywood writers settled a separate contract dispute with the studios. However, like the writers' deal, the actors' agreement still requires ratification by a majority vote among union members.

Both actors and writers shared concerns about issues such as residual payments and the impact of artificial intelligence, but their specific demands differed.

Following the announcement of the tentative deal, SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher celebrated the historic agreement on her Instagram account and thanked union members, strike organizers, legal teams, sister unions, and the AMPTP for their support.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom also welcomed the agreement, emphasizing its positive impact on the state's economy and the entertainment industry workforce.

The actors went on strike on July 14, joining forces with striking writers who had been picketing since May 2. The shift to streaming had significantly affected actors' residual income, and the potential use of artificial intelligence as a replacement for authentic performances was viewed as an existential threat to their livelihoods.

During the strike, actors were unable to promote their projects made under the previous agreement with AMPTP. This disruption caused production delays in the film and television industry, leading to the rescheduling of the 2023 Emmys to January 2024.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass expressed relief that a fair agreement had been reached, highlighting the strike's impact on the local economy and the entertainment industry. She emphasized the need to support local production for economic recovery.

Negotiations between SAG-AFTRA and AMPTP took place over several weeks, beginning in early October and continuing into November.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.