Summer in My City: San Antonio

New to San Antonio or just visiting? Check out the five places YR Media’s Guillermo Guzman immediately discovered after settling in.

07.01.23
Summer in My City: San Antonio (@SAMAart via Twitter)

San Juan; TexasAs a California native, I recently had to move to Texas due to family matters and I needed to find things to do. Thankfully, I saw that the closest city to me was San Antonio, which is rich with culture, history and great people. 

Here are my top 5 tips on what to do.

The chapel of the Alamo Mission, known as the "Shrine of Texas Liberty", in downtown San Antonio, Texas. | Daniel Slim/AFP via Getty Images

The Alamo 

Situated in the heart of San Antonio, this mission turned fortress held the last stand of Davy Crockett from the Mexican forces, cementing the end of the Texas revolution of the 1800’s and creating the Republic of Texas from Mexico. The admission into the mission proper is free, but there are some paid extras like a museum and interesting gifts at the gift shop. Just don’t be like my family and lean on the walls.

The Tower of the Americas, the 229-meter observation tower, in San Antonio, Texas. | Daniel Slim/AFP via Getty Images

Tower of The Americas

Take the big trip up to the top of this tower and take in the sights of historic San Antonio. Learn about Texas history on the observation deck or dine at the restaurant/lounge at the top of the tower. Don’t forget to check out the 4D theater at the base of the tower for some extra family fun.

Universal Education/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

San Antonio Zoo

Do you love animals? Of course! We all love animals! So come on down to the San Antonio Zoo where you can see animals of all types including lions, tigers, and bears! These cuddly creatures are sure to put a smile on your face. There are also many events here such as Night out at the Zoo and Zoo Lights.

Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

San Antonio Riverwalk 

Perhaps you want a relaxing walk along some great scenery, the Riverwalk is for you!!! Here are some amazing restaurants, scenery, and even boat trips along the river. There are even parties and parades such as the Bud Light Pride River Parade!

The San Antonio Museum of Art in San Antonio, Texas, is housed is the former Lone Star Brewery building. | Robert Alexander via Getty Images

San Antonio Museum of Art

If you are a patron of the arts, you must visit this museum. It contains artifacts from all over the world including from Asia, ancient Greece, Rome and Egypt. Combining the past and present with wonderful art from the past to more contemporary fare from regional Texan artists. The museum also holds small concerts for local artists and artist open studios.

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and Twitter: @Dimpy_Tenders.