Spotlight’s on Chicago in ‘City So Real’

10.30.20
Spotlight’s on Chicago in ‘City So Real’ (Amara Enyia holds a press conference to announce her Chance the Rapper endorsement. (Photo: Chicago Story Film, LLC))

DeKalb, ILFilmmaker Steve James has released a new five-part docuseries called “City So Real” featuring a vibrant and diverse portrait of contemporary Chicago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQ85DEVpbc

The series begins in 2018 as Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced he will not seek re-election as tensions over the fatal police shooting of Laquan McDonald continue. 

“City” is set against the backdrop of the historic 2019 mayoral election of Lori Lightfoot. The documentary features more than just mayoral contenders, but highlights Chicago’s neighborhoods and people. 

An added fifth episode features the tumultuous 2020 summer of COVID-19 and social unrest following the death of George Floyd.

The series premiered Oct. 29 on National Geographic and is available on Hulu starting today.