Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number! Young Generations Pushing Forward

03.06.23
Age Ain’t Nothing But A Number! Young Generations Pushing Forward (Arturo Holmes via Getty Images for MVAAFF)

Atlanta, GeorgiaThese ladies may be young and are current and future history makers. 

“I will put my career on the line to talk politics,” said Yara Shahidi, one of the leading actresses over the past several years. From starring in hit ABC shows “grown-ish” and “black-ish,” she is making her mark. 

She is a recent graduate from Harvard University with a degree in Interdisciplinary Sociology and African American Studies. Time magazine included her on "The 30 Most Influential Teens of 2016" list. But her impact is deeper. Aside from acting, she is encouraging young people to make political opinions and engage in civic action. 

“There’s this assumption that young people are supposed to stay quiet and all of a sudden turn 18 and have fully formed opinions,” she told Glamour. “But the problem is that you haven’t been given a platform or the opportunity as a young person to develop or form those opinions.” 

In 2021, Shahidi joined the Dior Stand with Women campaign, and she continues to be an activist for social injustices and being a voice.

Zendaya | Michael Buckner/Variety via Getty Images

Zendaya uses her platform to speak to the youth 

“You Have A Voice and It's OK to Use It,” said the Emmy-award-winning actress as she does not shy from voicing her opinion of the political and social issues that the world is facing. She is using her voice to connect with her audience. 

"I need you to go ahead and understand that you have a voice and it's OK to use it when you see something bad happening," Zendaya continued. "So make sure that you stay educated and you do not let people tell you what you think you should feel." 

Zendaya is vocal on social media platforms and uses her platform to continue to be an advocate not only for her target audience but for others as well. 

Halle Bailey | Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic via Getty Images

Singer and actress Halle Bailey had been a topic of discussion for months following the announcement of her portraying Ariel in Disney's live-action of “The Little Mermaid.” Switching the narrative of Ariel being portrayed by a white actress, Bailey was the subject of much controversy. 

Bailey credited the movie’s filmmakers with allowing her authentic identity to be a part of this new iteration of the Disney princess, specifically with regard to her hair. 
”As a Black woman, hair is spiritual, especially locs,” Bailey said, also mentioning that a significant portion of prep time on set was devoted to analyzing how her hair moved in the water. “It was really cool for them to make Ariel a version of me with my locs,” she added.