Keke Palmer Bares All in IG Post About Acne and PCOS Diagnosis

12.02.20
Keke Palmer Bares All in IG Post About Acne and PCOS Diagnosis (Photo: keke/Instagram)

DeKalb, ILKeke Palmer is opening to fans about her health struggles with Polycystic ovary syndrome after posting a filter and makeup free selfie to Instagram. 

The 27-year-old actress shared three selfies to reveal acne and scarring on her cheeks stating that, "Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome has been attacking me from the inside out my entire life and I had no idea. My acne has been so bad that people in my field offered to pay for me to get it fixed." 

Polycystic ovary syndrome is a disorder where levels of reproductive hormones such as estrogen and testosterone are imbalanced. The disorder affects as many as 1 in 10 women, and is the leading cause of infertility in the United States, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Palmer said in the post she’s tried everything including trying Accutane twice, taking blood tests and having a clean diet but none of it worked. She said after looking into her family history of diabetes and obesity, she understood what was happening to her. 

“Unfortunately, doctors are people and if you don’t ‘look the part’ they may not think that’s your problem,” Palmer said in the post. “They may not even suggest it if you 'look healthy' whatever that means! I came to a doctor in tears once and all they offered was a measles vaccine... Exactly."

Despite this, Palmer didn’t give up on herself. She told her followers that it’s okay to help themselves. 

"Pray for me on this journey and I will pray for you too,” Palmer said in the post. “I’m not afraid to show myself to the world and you shouldn’t be either ❤️"