Having Alone Time Over the Holidays Is Important

The holidays can be enjoyable, but more so when we take time for ourselves.

12.23.22
Having Alone Time Over the Holidays Is Important (Photo: Kelly Sikkema via Unsplash)

Boulder, COOne way I destress during the holidays is by taking time for myself. Even though the holidays are about celebrating one another, I think it's perfectly okay to need some space from your friends and family. 

As a child, I would sit in my little fancy world, and pretend that the holiday decorations were part of my little toy land. As I got older, I began to feel more stressed out about the holidays. When there are lots of friends and family coming over, there are lots of people with different needs that need to be attended to.

Even if I love the guests that are coming over, being around that many people for hours can be exhausting. Sometimes I steal away to a quiet space and throw a blanket over my head. 

This is sometimes perceived as rude by the people around me. I can understand this perspective, but in reality, I just need my own space. Getting some alone time during the chaos of the holidays helps me to feel less overwhelmed, and I can enjoy the celebration more.