6 Tips to Get Out of a Sad Holiday Funk

Whether you prefer not to celebrate; are dealing with seasonal depression; or you are missing a loved one; there are a few things you can do to help you make it through what is supposed to be a festive time with the onslaught of a new year.

12.26.22
6 Tips to Get Out of a Sad Holiday Funk (Getty Images)

Los Angeles, CAAs we transitioned from carved pumpkins to pumpkin, well sweet potato, pies for the holiday season, it is important to remember that it may not be a cheerful time for everyone. And, that’s okay. 

While some people enjoyed setting out cookies for Santa (or themselves wink wink*); enjoyed delicious comfort food; searched stores high and low for that perfect gift; or spent time with loved ones; many dread this season and the onslaught of a new year.

Whether you prefer not to celebrate; feel like you can not afford the holidays; are dealing with seasonal depression; or you are missing a loved one; there are a few things you can do to help you make it through what is supposed to be a festive time. 

Get Creative 

While Christmas is usually about searching for gifts, wrapping them and setting them under a decorated tree, don't let that stop you from feeling like you can't participate. Inflation is real! Get creative and try to make a gift for the ones you love. A handmade and thoughtful gift is timeless and priceless, and sentimental pieces often mean the world to people. Rather you make a holiday card from scratch or some beaded bracelets; as long as it comes from you and your heart, that is all that matters!

Stay off Social Media 

Sometimes social media can be a lot during the holidays; they can be a constant reminder that they are coming up. Try to take some time away during this time, and try to watch a movie or show that does not involve commercials. Even seeing people with friends and family celebrating may be triggering for you. Make sure to take it easy. 

Take a Mental Health Break

If this time is hard for you, take some time for a mental health break. Think about what you like to do and what makes you happy! It could be going to a bookstore, getting a frappuccino or going to the movies. Spend time out or inside and do something you truly enjoy; you deserve it.

Participate in Community Service 

Sometimes giving back to your community can lift your spirits unlike anything else. It feels good to help make a difference, especially during a time when people need it. It may be a food, clothing or toy giveaway near you. If you are interested, try to get involved. 

Take a Trip Down Memory Lane

Rather you are missing a loved one or a friend, take a little time to remember them. Maybe watch a movie you both liked or listen to a song with a great memory attached. Take a walk down memory lane and look at photos or videos. Know that they are proud of you!

Don't Ignore Your Feelings 

The holiday season can be difficult; if you don't listen to any of the other tips, remember this one. Do not ignore your feelings; they are valid. If you want to cry, cry. Do what you need to get your emotions out, do not just bottle them up. Scream, sleep, relax, journal, vlog … do whatever you need, except self-mediate.