Notre Dame President: Victory Celebration over Clemson ‘Disappointing’

11.09.20
Notre Dame President: Victory Celebration over Clemson ‘Disappointing’ (Photo: Matt Cashore-Pool/Getty Images)

Thousands of Notre Dame football fans rushed the field Sunday after the team beat Clemson in double overtime. Clemson was at the time the number one ranked team in the country.

The on-field celebration was a sight for sore eyes as Notre Dame President Fr. John Jenkins said in a letter to students “it was disappointing to see evidence of widespread disregard of our health protocols at many gatherings over the weekend,” according to WSBT.

The team’s coach warned players that the field could swell with fans and urged them to get off the field and into the tunnel because of COVID-19 concerns. 

In the last week, St. Joseph County had at least 200 cases per day. 

Many people had masks on, but there was no social distancing, said the county’s Deputy Health Officer Dr. Mark Fox, who was at the game.