I Didn’t Get into My Dream College. Now What?

by Pratham Dalal
Also Featured on KCBS

by Pratham Dalal
Also Featured on KCBS
05.03.21
Photo courtesy of Pratham Dalal
05.03.21

Since 10th grade, I had my mind set on one college: USC. But after getting rejected, I couldn’t help but wonder if my time in high school was a success. 

In high school, I pushed myself to take seven AP Classes. Some nights, I would go to bed at 11 p.m. and start the day again at 5 a.m. I made sure I got to our school library almost as soon as it opened. 

On March 31, I sat at my computer waiting for the Trojan confetti to fall. But that’s not what I got. I started questioning if my hard work paid off. What could I have done better? Should I have sacrificed more sleep?

But with disappointment came opportunities. During my spring break, I went to tour another college campus and I fell in love with what it had to offer. Sure, it wasn’t USC. Yet, I knew it was right for me. 

I realized I don’t have to be in my dream school to do something meaningful. I have to prioritize myself and my ability to grow, over the prestige of the school. Even if it means not attending a school that I’ve wanted to go to since I was 15. 

YR Media Statement in Support of AAPI Community