Women Shouldn’t Feel Ashamed of Aging

The media and entertainment industry often portray aging to be undesirable, but we should embrace aging.

03.30.23
Women Shouldn’t Feel Ashamed of Aging (Malin K. via Unsplash)

When I turned 17, I started thinking about what it means to age, particularly as a young woman.

The night of my birthday, I scrolled through a Spotify playlist titled “Songs About Being 17.” Most of the songs were about life-changing experiences one could only have at the line between childhood and adulthood, setting my expectations high for the year.

The media and entertainment industry often portray aging as undesirable, especially for women. In Michelle Yeoh’s Golden Globes speech, she said “[As] time went by — I turned 60 last year, and I think all of you women understand this. As the days, the years, and the numbers get bigger, it seems like opportunities start to get smaller as well.”

I’ve caught myself worrying about how my social life and appearance will change as I age. I care about wearing enough sunscreen, and many young women worry about their future appearances to the extent of getting preventative botox.

Phrases like the “golden years” or “in your prime” commonly refer to young adulthood. But I don’t think people should strive to peak this early in life, or even peak at all.