Stronger Than Yesterday: Britney Is Finally Free!

11.17.21
Stronger Than Yesterday: Britney Is Finally Free! (Photo: Alexi Rosenfeld/Getty Images)

After having her conservatorship terminated in a closed court hearing, Britney Spears spoke out about being finally free from the conservatorship that has haunted her for the past decade. 

In an Instagram video posted Tuesday, Spears said, “I've been in the conservatorship for 13 years. It's a really long time to be in a situation you don't want to be in. I'm just grateful, honestly, for each day, and being able to have the keys to my car, being able to be independent and feel like a woman, owning an ATM card and seeing cash for the first time, being able to buy candles. It's the little things for us women, but it makes a huge difference. I'm grateful for that. It's nice. It's really nice.”

She added, “But I'm not here to be a victim. I lived with victims my whole life as a child. That's why I got out of my house and I worked for 20 years and worked my ass off.” 

In the lead-up to the monumental decision, Spears thanked fans for their support by wearing a #FreeBritney t-shirt in an IG video by her fiancee Sam Asghari. The fan support is credited with drawing media attention to her conservatorship and resulted in the monumental exposés released throughout 2021 that finally shifted public opinion of the star.