New COVID Variants Emerge, CDC Circles Back on Masking Up

07.28.21
New COVID Variants Emerge, CDC Circles Back on Masking Up (Photo: Recep Sakar/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILThe Delta variant is becoming responsible for the number of COVID-19 cases across the country, but it’s only one of many known coronavirus variants, which are known to spread more easily and quickly.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends, again, that masks be worn indoors and in public settings in areas with high transmission rates. The guidance comes after new data suggests that fully vaccinated people are contracting the virus and possibly infecting others.

The CDC lists four types of COVID-19 variants that are considered to be variants of concern: Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta. So far, studies suggest that the current authorized vaccines work on the variants.

Alpha variant

This variant was first detected in the United States in Dec. 2020, and was initially detected in the United Kingdom, according to the CDC. As of July 21, the Alpha variant now accounts for 8.3% of new COVID-19 cases

Beta variant

This variant was first detected in the United States at the end of Jan. 2021, and was initially detected in South Africa in Dec. 2020, according to the CDC. The beta variant is still more prevalent in South Africa and nearby countries, rather than the United States. 

Gamma variant

This variant was first detected in the United States in Jan. 2021, and was initially identified in travelers from Brazil, who were tested during routine screening at an airport in Japan, in early January, according to the CDC. As of July 21, the Gamma variant now accounts for % of new COVID-19 cases

Delta variant

This variant was first detected in the United States in March 2021, and was initially identified in India in Dec. 2020, according to the CDC. As of July 21, the Delta variant now accounts for more than 83% of new COVID-19 cases. 

Many people report symptoms more like a common cold, such as cough, fever or headache with a loss of smell when it comes to the Delta variant. Research has shown that it spreads easily in indoor sports settings and households.