Olivia Rodrigo Visits White House About Gen Z Vaccinations

07.15.21
Olivia Rodrigo Visits White House About Gen Z Vaccinations (Photo: JMEnternational/JMEnternational for BRIT Awards/Getty Images)

Singer-songwriter Olivia Rodrigo answered the call from the White House about the importance of youth vaccinations.

In President Joe Biden’s effort urging young people to get inoculated, he captioned a photo of his 20-year-old self, “I know this young person would’ve gotten vaccinated, but we’ve got to get other young people protected as well. Who’s willing to help?” 

The “good 4 u” artist commented that she was “in”, and would see the President “tomorrow at the white house!”

“I am beyond honored and humbled to be here today to help spread the message about the importance of youth vaccinations,” Rodrigo began, before adding that she was “in awe” of the work being done to get Americans vaccinated, and “happy to help lend” her support.

After the comment was posted, a White House official confirmed the visit, stating that Rodrigo, whose song “Drivers License” is currently the most listened to of the year, would speak to Biden and Fauci and record videos “about the importance of young people getting vaccinated, including answering important questions young people have about getting vaccinated.”

“It’s important to have conversations with friends and family members encouraging all communities to get vaccinated and actually get to a vaccination site, which you can do more easily than ever before, given how many sites we have, and how easy it is to find them at vaccines.gov,” she said at the end of her speech.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, only 41.6% of adults aged 18 to 24 are fully vaccinated. The numbers are even lower in teens, with 37.1% of 16 and 17 year olds and only a quarter of 12 to 15 year olds having received both doses. 

Biden recently announced that his administration would be increasing efforts to encourage and increase access to youth COVID-19 vaccinations.

As young people play a huge part in the country reaching herd immunity, the focus is set to be on getting vaccines to pediatricians and other youth providers so that adolescents ages 12 to 18 can get vaccinated as they go for check ups ahead of returning to school and sports in the fall.