Gen Z’s Made It To Congress

Democrat Maxwell Frost, 25, will represent the Orlando area. He beat Calvin Wimbish.

11.08.22
Gen Z’s Made It To Congress (Maxwell Frost for Congress)

ChicagoA Florida resident is the first Gen Z candidate to win a seat in Congress.

Democrat Maxwell Frost, 25, will represent the Orlando area; he is the first Afro-Cuban in Congress. He beat Calvin Wimbish.

Frost, whose family story originated in Cuba, lives in Orlando, campaigned on progressive issues including Medicare for All, an end to gun violence, transforming the criminal justice system and ending climate change.

During the election cycle he said his election was “proof that Central Florida’s working families want representation that has the courage to ask for more.”

In other election news, while Frost’s win is big for Gen Z, the GOP won big with Gov. Ron DeSantis cruising to re-election and Sen. Marco Rubio securing a third term.

The other Gen Z hoping for a seat in Congress was New Hampshire GOP candidate Karoline Leavitt. She lost to the incumbent Chris Pappas.

Nabeela Syed, 23, made history as the first South Asian person to serve in the Illinois state legislature.⁣ She is a Democrat.

Democrat Zaynab Mohamed, 25, also made history as one of three Black women elected to the Minnesota state senate.⁣

Sami Scheetz, 26 and a Democrat, was elected as the first Arab American in the Iowa state legislature.⁣

Stacey Abrams lost the rematch to Georgia's Gov. Brian Kemp. The heated race between Sen. Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker will be decided in a runoff on Dec. 6.

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott won re-election in Texas and Democratic Gov. JB Pritzker cruised to victory.