HBCUs Could See Enrollment Uptick in Wake of Affirmative Action Decision

06.30.23
HBCUs Could See Enrollment Uptick in Wake of Affirmative Action Decision (Instagram via @harrisstowe)

ChicagoSome advocates say the Supreme Court’s decision to roll back affirmative action in college admission could cause a spike in enrollment at HBCUs.

In ruling against affirmative action policies at Harvard and the University of North Carolina, the court’s decision effectively prohibits the use of similar policies and programs around the country. The decision served as a major victory to some conservative activists and a blow for affirmative action advocates who viewed it as a way to foster diverse student populations.

As a result, Jerome Goodwin, president of the National Association of College Deans, Registrars and Admission officers told WishTV that HBCU enrollment is already on the rise. 

“We go through a cycle where we make gains, and then we have some setbacks along the way,” Goodwin told the news outlet. “The old adage of a setback is a setup for a comeback.”

While he believes the Supreme Court’s decision is a concern, it’s also an opportunity to welcome Black students “back home.” 

“I’m hopeful, because we have made tremendous strides,” he said. 

Alana Foster is one of the students who’s heading to an HBCU in the fall. Her choice to attend one of those universities came as a result of not wanting “to be one of the numbers” at a predominantly white institution. 

“I didn’t want to be 13%. I didn’t want to be 14%. I want to be the majority,” said Foster, who will be attending Harris Stowe State University. 

Noah Johnson (he/him/his) is a Chicago-based journalist. Follow him on Twitter: @noahwritestoo.