Breaking Down Long COVID-19

08.08.22
Breaking Down Long COVID-19 (Getty Images)

ChicagoThere are three different kinds of long COVID-19, each with their own set of symptoms, according to a report from the Hill.

Scientists from King’s College in London analyzed 1,459 people living with post-COVID syndrome, leading them to place patients into three main “symptom profiles.” The research comes as more than 7% of all adults in the United States are currently experiencing symptoms of long COVID. 

The first group suffered from respiratory symptoms like chest pain and shortness of breath. The second experienced symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, poor memory and headaches. Researchers said these symptoms were experienced most commonly among those that had been infected with the alpha or delta variants. The third group consisted of those who had an immune related response. 

Not much is known about how to treat long COVID, but the study offers insights into the complexities of the virus. 

“These insights could aid in the development of personalized diagnosis and treatment, as well as helping policymakers plan for the delivery of care for people living with post-COVID syndrome,” according to the study.