Young Suspect Identified In String Of HBCU Bomb Threats

11.17.22

ChicagoThe FBI has identified a suspect following a string of bomb threats at HBCU’s earlier this year. 

Between Jan. 5 and February, 17 different HBCUs had received threats. Though the FBI is still investigating many of the threatening calls made, it now has a suspect in one of the string of calls.

“We’ve recently — with respect to the first big tranche of the threats — the investigation has identified an underage, a juvenile subject. And because of the federal limitations on charging juveniles with federal crimes, we have worked with state prosecutors to ensure that that individual is charged under various other state offenses, which will ensure some level of restrictions and monitoring and disruption of his criminal behavior,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray, according to The Hill

“Since that big tranche that we believe that individual was responsible for, there have been two other tranches,” Wray added. “And we’re very actively investigating those, but there’s not much I can say on those ongoing active investigations, those other investigations, at this time.”

In February the FBI also identified six “tech savvy” juveniles who used complex methods to try to conceal the origin of the threats, the Hill reported. 

“The bomb threats have been made in phone calls, email, instant messages, and anonymous online posts. FBI agents from multiple field offices are conducting hundreds of interviews and gathering a variety of electronic evidence for analysis,” the FBI stated.