TSU Offered Hoop Scholarship to One-Armed Phenom

08.27.21
TSU Offered Hoop Scholarship to One-Armed Phenom (Photo: @enmanuelhansel via Instagram)

DeKalb, ILHansel Emmanuel Donato Domínguez, a 17-year-old who plays basketball with only one arm, is following in his father’s footsteps after receiving a scholarship offer from a historically Black university in Tennessee.

Donato Dominguez's left arm was amputated when he was six years old after a wall collapsed on it. His father rescued him from the rubble after being trapped for two hours.

“Blessed to receive my first D1 offer from Tennessee State university,” Donato Domínguez announced on Instagram. “Thank you for believing in my talents.” 

Donato Domínguez moved to the United States in late 2020 from the Dominican Republic to play basketball at Life Christian Academy in Kissimmee, Florida. 

“My life fell apart when Hansel’s accident happened,” his father told the Orlando Sentinel. “I was the one with him and when they had to amputate his arm, I felt like it was all over. But God grabbed us and led us down this path. You remember everything [from the accident] because a blow like this is not forgotten, so quickly regardless of all that he is achieving, thanks to God.” 

Tennessee State has also signed Hercy Miller, the son of hip-hop legend Percy “Master P” Miller.