Texas Southern Snags Another O’Neal Athlete

08.04.21
Texas Southern Snags Another O’Neal Athlete (Photo: @amirahoneal_ via Instagram)

DeKalb, ILAmirah O’Neal is following in the steps of her father, basketball legend Shaquille O’Neal, and is heading to an HBCU to play basketball at Texas Southern University this fall. 

The 19-year-old was a walk-on at her father’s alma mater, Louisiana State University, but will now be playing under the guidance of Hall of Famer Cynthia Cooper-Dyke.

She will join her younger brother, Shaqir, after he announced earlier this year that he’d be attending TSU to play basketball.

The rising sophomore announced on Instagram that she’d be attending Texas Southern and said that “I see the doubt in they faces, they didn’t think I would make it.” 

She is one of many high school athletes who have chosen an HBCU over a PWI. Hercy Miller, the son of hip-hop mogul Percy “Master P” Miller, announced in April that he would be taking his basketball skills to Tennessee State University.