Sha’Carri’d ‘US’ to Track History

Sha’Carri Richardson made a historic sprint to win World Athletics 100-meter gold.

08.21.23
Sha’Carri’d ‘US’ to Track History (Andy Astfalck/BSR Agency via Getty Images)

ChicagoSha’Carri Richardson blazed lane 9 with a 10.65-second run to win the World Athletics Championships 100-meter gold on Monday in Budapest, Hungary. It was her debut at the games.

The 23-year-old’s time was a personal best and the world championship record. She is now tied for the title of fifth-fastest woman over 100 meters in history. The world record is 10.49 by Florence Griffith-Joyner.

Richardson’s rise in the public eye due to her blazing speed has led her to taking some ridicule from the media and social media. In 2021 she overcame many triumphs in the public eye such as being disqualified from the Tokyo Olympics in 2021 over a failed drug test for marijuana, as well as finding out that her mother passed away after a race by a reporter. 

She came back better than ever and explained that she was focusing on her mental health. She is focusing on her health by “knowing my limits, setting boundaries for what I am comfortable with, and also understanding my triggers. I feel like my biggest thing about mental health for me and my personal journey is that I had to pay attention to myself first before I allowed anything, before I gave anything else energy, love, and time.”