Simone Biles’ Historic Gymnast Titles Journey

06.09.21
Simone Biles’ Historic Gymnast Titles Journey (Photo: Fernando Frazão/Agência Brasil via Wikimedia)

DeKalb, ILSimone Biles made historic strides at just 24 when she became the first woman to win seven straight titles in the U.S. Gymnast Championship this week.

Biles took home her seventh all-around gold medal at the Senior Women's Competition and now ties with gymnast Alfred Jochim for the most titles by an American. She earned a score of 119.650 Sunday night with titles in the vault, balance beam, floor, and all-around categories. The only event she didn’t place first was uneven bars, where she placed third.

The five-time Olympic medalist has won every all-around competition she has entered since 2013, according to NBC Sports. Biles hopes to continue her reign at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics which begins July 23.

Biles is considered to be the greatest gymnast of all time and the only “sure thing” for the U.S. gymnastics team ahead of the 2020 Olympics, according to USA Today. Biles won four of a possible six gold medals in Rio at the 2016 Olympics, losing only on bars and beam. 

“It’s really emotional, especially going into my second time doing an Olympic run, it’s really crazy,” Biles said