The Gee Code: How to Earn 20x More from TikTok’s New Creativity Program

11.14.23

Jersey CityTikTok is revamping its approach to supporting content creators. The platform announced it will be replacing its Creator Fund with a Creativity Program that aims to compensate creators through refined engagement metrics.

TikTok’s Creator Fund once awarded payment to creators with  “successful video” uploads. This meant that creators who  received at least 100,000 views within the past 30 days were eligible for monetization. 

This however offered slim opportunities for monetization on the platform. Big-time millennial creators like Hank Green reported earning 2.5 cents per 1,000 views through the Creator Fund.

TikTok's new Creativity Program promises to be a game-changer. To be eligible creator’s videos must be over a minute long, and they should have at least 10,000 followers and 100,000 views in the past 30 days.

What makes the Creativity Program exciting is the potential to earn up to 20 times more than what was offered by the Creator Fund, as reported by TikTok. This change opens up new opportunities for Gen Z content creators to monetize their videos and potentially pursue content creation as a full-time career.

Without the help of platform monetization, many creators rely on brand deals to serve as compensation for their content. TikTok’s transition can allow creators to rely less on hard-to get branded monetization opportunities and instead allow their views to turn into dollar signs.

TikTok's recent data suggests that approximately half of its users engage with videos longer than a minute, showing a growing interest in longer-form content. If you're already creating longer videos or willing to explore this format, you're in a prime position to benefit from the Creativity Program. If you’re not in that lane of content, it’s definitely time to explore it. 

To join the Creativity Program, simply go to your settings, select Creator Tools, and wait for a notification within three days if you meet the criteria. As TikTok expands the program to more countries, it's an excellent opportunity for Gen Z content creators worldwide to increase their earnings and continue sharing their unique creativity with a global audience.

Keeping it gee, TikTok's Creativity Program offers an exciting opportunity for Gen Z content creators. By adapting to the changing landscape of TikTok, creators can position themselves for success in ways that simply weren’t offered to them before.

Miranda Perez (she/her/hers) is a Jersey City, NJ-based journalist who covers the tech industry. Follow her on X and Instagram: @mimithegee.

Edited by NaTyshca Pickett