Historic Wins At Grammys

An HBCU marching band took home their first award and Beyoncé now has more Grammys on her shelf than anyone else.

02.05.23
Historic Wins At Grammys (Michael Kovac via Getty Images for The Recording Academy)

ChicagoTo no one’s surprise, Beyoncé won big at the 65th annual Grammy Awards, and made history. Her four awards Sunday now has her as the most-winning artist in the event’s history with a total of 32 under her belt. And while she’s in a class by herself, most think she was still robbed. She didn’t win Song of the Year, Record of the Year or Album of the Year. 

Lizzo accepts the Record of the Year award for “About Damn Time” during the 65th GRAMMY Awards . | Timothy Norris/FilmMagic via Getty Images

A shocked Lizzo won Record of the Year and mentioned Beyoncé and Prince in her acceptance remarks. 

Members of the Tennessee State University Marching Band accept the award for Best Roots Gospel Album for The Urban Hymnal onstage during the 65th GRAMMY Awards. | Kevork Djansezian via Getty Images for The Recording Academy)

The other historic win of the night put a spotlight on historically Black colleges and universities. The Best Roots Gospel Album went to Tennessee State University’s Aristocrat of Bands.

Kendrick Lamar took home three Grammys and Harry Styles won two, including Album of the Year.

Samara Joy poses with the Best New Artist and Best Jazz Vocal Album Awards for “Linger Awhile” during the 65th GRAMMY Awards. | Alberto E. Rodriguez via Getty Images for The Recording Academy

Gen Z jazz vocalist Samara Joy won two awards.