‘Love’ Lizzo’s ‘Live’ Docs

"Love, Lizzo" shows her intimate emotions during a three-year span of major performances getting canceled; her sold-out Houston Rodeo show; winning Grammys; advocating for Black Lives Matter; and being canceled over her outfit to the Lakers game.

01.11.23
‘Love’ Lizzo’s ‘Live’ Docs (Courtesy of HBO Max)

Los AngelesThe three-time Grammy award and Emmy award-winning artist, Lizzo, has two new documentaries that can be streamed on HBO Max — “Love, Lizzo” and “Lizzo Live in Concert.”

“Love, Lizzo” exhibits the journey of how the superstar we know today as Lizzo came about. Her journey starts as a child; she grew up in a church and liked to sing but ultimately didn't have the confidence to sound how she felt inside. "I could hold a note, I've always had good intonation and pitch, but I didn't have the confidence in my voice," she said in the documentary. 

https://youtu.be/31fZ-GTlvrU

The documentary began filming in 2019. It follows her for three years and shows intimate emotions of major performances getting canceled; her sold-out Houston Rodeo show; winning Grammys; advocating for Black Lives Matter; and being canceled over her outfit to the Lakers game. It also touches on heartbreak that fueled a few of her songs, self-love and body positivity. It even goes into why and how she created her shapewear brand YITTY, which is comfortable and fashionable shapewear for people of all sizes. 

We learn that she has always loved music and eventually fell in love with her signature instrument, the flute. The doc explores her love for music and her process when creating music videos, songs and even stage performances.

It lets us know that Lizzo is human more than anything. She expresses the importance of representation in the industry, which she has had to be for herself. She uses her platform to give other women a chance on stage to show that their gender, weight or sexuality and those who have intersecting identities have nothing to do with their talent. 

The vulnerability she shared allowed her view to be shared, aside from how the media portrayed her. If you love Lizzo, you will definitely love her docs, and if you aren't a fan, you probably will be one after. 

And if you happen to miss Lizzo's tour, no problem; she's got you covered with her newly released ‘Lizzo Live in Concert” doc of her Los Angeles show.