Long Night Time Drive Ahead? Our #WeekendPlaylist Will Make it Seem Shorter

We’ve curated 10 albums offering eerie, ethereal feelings to a more cinematic feeling, so that you can feel like a main character on your way home.

05.20.22
Long Night Time Drive Ahead? Our #WeekendPlaylist Will Make it Seem Shorter (Gabe Pierce via Unsplash)

Downers Grove; IllinoisWhile that may not be a secret to everyone, it is safe to say that certain songs, when played at night, seem to have a little more magic to them. 

Safe driving! 

“Punisher” by Phoebe Bridgers

Phoebe Bridgers lit the world of alternative music ablaze with her sophomore album, "Punisher." Her subtle voice creeps and curves with every verse on her 11-track album. She gives off a ghostly yet charming vibe that carries from beginning to end of the album. Standout tracks include "Chinese Satellite," "I Know The End" and "Halloween."

“Nebraska” (Original Soundtrack) by Mark Orton 

Virtually nothing and everything seems to happen in Alexander Payne’s 2013 film, "Nebraska." Most of the film centers around a father and son on a road trip. The soundtrack features guitar, viola, banjo and no lyrics. It offers a twangy, cinematic take on your road trip playlist. 

“Strange Trails and Vide Noir” by Lord Huron 

Rather than choose from several Lord Huron albums, you're getting two recommendations. The first one is their 2015 album "Strange Trails" and their 2018 rock album "Vide Noir." The two albums differ in more ways than one, while "Strange Trails" is mystical, filled with love at its core, while "Vide Noir" is a faster-paced album that's focused on bringing a new angle of adventure, intensity to listeners. 

“Morning Phase” by Beck  

Beck's known for transcending genres and taking indie music to new heights. While it may not be your typical Beck album, the singer-songwriter delivers depth-defying lyrics and amazing production.

“Keep It Hid” by Dan Auerbach  

While Dan Auerbach gets majority of his recognition for being one-half of the infamous The Black Keys, his solo work deserves equal praise. And while he has dabbled with many side projects and solo albums, "Keep" is one of the best testaments to his early work; rough around the edges yet soulful to the core.  

“How To Be A Human Being” by Glass Animals  

If stripped-down beats aren't your thing, then dive into Glass Animals' 2016 album "How To Be A Human Being." Hits like "Life Itself," "Pork Soda," and "The Other Side of Paradise" are enough to keep you up without veering too much into a daze.  

“Tearing At The Seams” by Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats

While Nathaniel Rateliff and his crew tend to go for heavier tones, "Tearing At The Seams" provides insight into their ability to take it down a notch and still keep the jams coming. If you need a boost of energy for long drives, this is for you.

“Better in the Shade” by Patrick Watson 

If moody melancholia is more your speed, Canadian singer-songwriter Patrick Watson released his ninth studio album last month. He embodies subtlety while delivering superb vocals on "Better in the Shade." 

“Life of Leisure” by Washed Out 

At just six songs, Washed Out wins for having the shortest album, however, size isn’t an indicator of quality. Each song captivates listeners with uplifting, other-worldly beats, think of it as a more energetic take on lo-fi.