Below the Belt ISH

Below the Belt ISH

08.22.19
Art by Michael Letang / @human.michael
08.22.19

Co-hosts Nyge Turner and Merk Nguyen explore topics concerning their pelvic regions in ways your sex ed teachers probably didn’t cover in health class in this episode of Adult ISH. Yes Queen founder and Real Talk Love Therapy host Daysha Veronica chats with Nyge and his friends about male birth control. Then Merk brings on our teen correspondent Charlie Stuip to chat about vajayjays and pap smears!

Male Birth Control with Daysha Veronica

“Male Birth Control? It’s about time!”
(Courtesy of Daysha Veronica)

What three words pop into your head when you hear “male birth control”? Nyge, two of his homies, Benny Daughtry and Mijoia Finley, and Yes Queen founder Daysha Veronica attempt to have a serious conversation on period-like substances, double standards for women, and Daysha’s viral BuzzFeed experiment where dudes simulated being on the pill (and failed).

PELVIC EXAM VS. PAP SMEARS!?

“I’m not a medical professional. I’m a 17-year-old girl who was curious.”
(Courtesy of YR Media)

Merk gets the lowdown on the basics of pelvic exams from YR Media correspondent Charlie Stuip. The ladies cover what the difference is between a pelvic exam and pap smear (not to be confused with bagel shmears), how American sex ed fails us, and your rights as a patient. You can also see Charlie’s reporting on YouTube if you want to speculate how a speculum works. (Shout out to Teresa Chin for extra production help for this segment!)

Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher or Google and follow us on IG, Twitter, and FB!

Support Young Journalists and Artists
Support Young Journalists and Artists