HBCUs ‘Learn-to-Swim’ with USA Swimming

The program offers an opportunity for HBCUs to use campus-based aquatic facilities for faculty, students, students, staff and partner with USA Swimming teams to deliver local aquatics-based programming in their respective communities.

01.06.22
HBCUs ‘Learn-to-Swim’ with USA Swimming (Photo: Greg Rosenke via Unsplash)

ChicagoA grant program focused on creating a new 10-year, $1 million initiative to develop learn-to swim and competitive opportunities in communities served by Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) was recently announced by the national governing body for swimming in the United States. 

The program offers an opportunity for HBCUs to use campus-based aquatic facilities for faculty, students, students, staff and partner with USA Swimming teams to deliver local aquatics-based programming in their respective communities, according to Swimswam. USA Swimming will provide up to $100,000 annual to support the programming. 

“HBCUs are vital in producing future community and national leaders,” said Joel Shinofield, Managing Director for Sport Development at USA Swimming. “They have a rich history in swimming, and we hope to tap into that past aquatic success and current leadership development to revitalize aquatic programming in communities across the country.  As HBCUs look to increase enrollment and student engagement, we know that campus swimming programs can play an important role in both and look forward to partnering to support these opportunities.”

HBCU grant applications will be open in February.